Sunday, March 11, 2012

ALIVE AND getting WELL

I realized last Sunday just how traumatically life altering a car accident can be, and how a SINGLE INSTANT in time can absolutely unravel you to a degree that you have a completely shifted perspective as a result.

Let me start by saying that above all else I am grateful.

Deep breath. My sister and I were taking our Mom out for her (number number) birthday dinner at the Fort Lauderdale Ruth's Chris (the collective all time favorite restaurant of the trio) so we picked her up at 5:30pm (old people time) at her place. By the time we got to University Dr. on 5-95 we were doing exactly 65 mph in the left lane. Why/how do we know this??? Because Jenn made it a point to check the speedometer when the SUV that caused the accident came up very quickly behind her. He was almost riding Jenn's back bumper for a few seconds right before he cut out from behind her to the right (in front of another car) and then immediately back in front of her to his left. Jenn pushed on the brakes (2007 4-dr Accord) so as not to rear end him and then the rest gets kinda gray for me. We fishtailed, 360'ed once or twice and hit the left retaining wall (airbags deployed) and then the car spun back the other way across ALL LANES OF TRAFFIC (never hitting another car...Praise God) to hit the right retaining wall another 2-3 times. Witnesses tried to get the guy's plate but we may and will most likely never know who caused this accident. Jenn's car is completely totaled. Mom has 5 acutely (that's the bad kind) fractured ribs. Jenn has a nasty airbag burn on her left forearm and a broken right ring fingertip & lots of bumps and bruises. I sustained a concussion (missing about 3 hrs of memory following the accident...scary), lost consciousness, 7 staples in my head, 2 black eyes (which are just about healed), numbness in my face and teeth, and a fractured C2 vertebrae (in a full on blue neck brace for at least 6 weeks). Gratefully and thankfully we ALL walked away. Granted I was initially rolled away from the scene, but I walked into the front door of my home later that same night.

This has been a tricky puzzle to try to piece together over this last week and the most difficult pieces for me are the emotional and spiritual ones. Just thinking about the weight of ALL of it. The accident, my sister, my mom, my dad, our family, my health, my life, my present state in life, what the future holds. To come so close to being just a memory, and essentially escaping death has made me do a complete and 100% personal inventory. We are talking BIG PICTURE stuff here people. I'm still sorting it all out (as we all are) in my head but there is one thing I know for certain. We were protected by mighty warrior guardian angels and the hand of God. I was spared. I am certainly loved.
I can assure you of this...my sunny disposition just got WAY sunnier, because I am happy to be alive.
If I love you, I mean really love you...and you haven't heard the 'accident speech' from me yet...get ready to feel the love, because I am happy to be alive.
I will continue to make ZERO apologies for being crazy, ditsy, lovely me, because I am happy to be alive.
I will say what's on my mind and I will tell you I love you even if it makes you a little uncomfortable, because I am happy to be alive.
I will hug you for just one second too long, because I am happy to be alive.
Life is short and it can be over before you get to tell that person how you really feel about them. So, get on the phone and call them and tell them...go on. I will be calling you soon to talk, because I am happy to be alive.

Now I will get back to the business of total and complete healing. I am predicting the 'Greatest Comeback in L.H.L. History'. First order of business is to relax and be still for the next 40 days. Yes, I am counting them, because the thought of sitting still that long and not Crossfitting will be tough so I HAVE to have something to look forward to. I am looking forward to a good report on April 19th. I am looking forward to our next hug.

I am looking forward to a hope filled blessed future, because I am happy to be alive.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Just saw this. SO amazing that you all walked away from it. Keep being you - clearly, you are loved. I hope the healing is going fast. xoxo