Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Covered

I really didn't want to go to the gym today. I wanted to sleep in and laze around until it was time to be at work. I decided against it and trudged my way east on 5-95 towards the I-95 S exit. I had just passed the I-95 N exit when...literally and instantly, a yellow Porsche was right next to me. As cliche as this next line will be..."It happened so fast", that I did not even have time to decide what to do next. He attempted to overtake me going at a speed of about 100mph (no kidding) and there was car in the lane to my left that was so close to my right front bumper that a motorcycle would have had problems getting through the space. The funniest thing (for lack of a better way to overstate the obvious) is that he NEVER SLOWED DOWN. This next part took all of 5 seconds to complete:
He just rammed the guy to my left and then proceeded to hit me and spin out behind me (engine catching fire for a moment...what?!), eventually hitting the concrete wall and landing in the emergency lane. $150,000 car...totalled. My coffee (which was in my right hand) splashed everywhere, but I managed to get it back into the cup holder (hands trembling). I was able to compensate my wheel just far enough to the left to keep my car from spinning out. I was able to pull the car into the emergency lane and put the hazards on and I kept my foot on the clutch so that I never stalled out. I did the obligatory "you're OK, you are not bleeding, the car is not on fire, you are safely pulled over" routine before calling in the accident.
I never doubted for a second the hand of God was on me this morning. My car ended up with very little damage compared to how hard I was hit. I drove it away from the scene. I am not hurt, not one little bit. No one in any of the other cars were killed...and that could have gone either way, because both people in the Porsche were hurt...3 broken bones is what was estimated. The kicker to end all kickers is that the guy that hit me was probably drunk. I mean, he was on his way home (at 7:10am) from the night before. EMS and the cop said he smelled like alcohol. No one can be up to any good with those odds.
WOW. Think about it and then just sit back in amazement.
100mph, 3 cars, 5 drinks, and I walked away untouched.
I am covered by the precious blood of Jesus and today my angels took charge over me and I was protected. In the midst of all that could have happened, I was at peace in my soul. And yes, my family flashed in front of my face momentarily when I first got hit and I have to be honest and admit that I am still shaken up over this. I don't even feel like I have been at work today, it feels more like a dream. I never did end up at the gym either. Next time I will just go and hope for something else.
Thank God for the people that put my little Honda Accord together. Thank God for not getting hurt. Thank God for my insurance company that has made getting these repairs done the easiest part of this whole ordeal. Most of all, thank God for the blood of Jesus that covers me every day and protects me mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and PHYSICALLY!
AMEN.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow. I mean...wow. I'm so glad you're okay. I can't imagine how scarey that would be.

God is good.

And I was NOT humping the giant pirate.

I just read your comment in class and laugh out loud so hard that I scared my class.