Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book Review: The Shack

A fictional story, written by Wm. Paul Young initially and only for his 6 kids, is about one man's journey from grief and anger to reconciliation with God. I have been reading a lot of reviews online about how this author doesn't get a lot of things right...or aligned properly with the Bible. I am certainly not going to try to pick it apart here either.
All I can say is that I did enjoy the book. It started off slow and I had some difficulty with the personifications of the Trinity, but I read on past those things to just enjoy the story...and I did. It was sweet and there was healing and hope. Did I say I liked it? Jen is going to read it next (and my Dad was the one who first read it) and then we will pay it forward.
I only read the 66 books of the Bible as truth, everything else is just opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs...even the really smart people who are 'experts' in their fields. I am expert in nothing. I excel at things like:
-Saying something I shouldn't in front of people who don't understand my humor.
-Needing to use the restroom when there is not one in sight.
-Day dreaming.
-Spending money (in my head) on things I can't afford (and don't need).
-Waking up at 5:45, just 8 minutes before the alarm goes off.
-Clipping coupons
So you see, all I can say is that I read and finished the book (which is an amazing feat in and of itself) and I liked it. I recommend you read it, if for nothing more than the opportunity for us to discuss it further.
Hugs and Kisses and Happy Days...

1 comment:

The Cooks said...

i love that we both excel at the same thing...ill let you decide which one that is :)
who are you passing the book on to??? is jen finished yet?