Wednesday, January 21, 2009

When I grow up...

When I was a lot younger (Elementary School) I had pretty high hopes for my career, including but not limited to...Astronaut (the thought of potentially donning Depends to wreak mischief on my pretend lover's REAL girlfriend now leads to thank myself I didn't pursue that one) and President of the United States (It could happen, maybe...someday). Then I got to High School and wanted to be a Doctor (I didn't "apply myself to my studies" and therefore never thought I was smart enough), SNL Feature Player (back in the Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, and David Spade days), Stand Up Comic (have you ever heard me try to retell a joke? It's like giving a cat a bath), a Published Author (does it count that I publish myself online?) and a Broadway Dancer (I love to eat too much and was afraid of failure). Then I got to college and started working in travel, taking Business classes and I just wanted to finish school. That's when I wanted to be a Travel Writer. Then the Food Network came on TV so I thought I could master that too (although I was never formally trained and was afraid of failure) or be a Restaurateur (do you know what the failure rate is there?). Here I am now, on the brink of turning 32 and I am back in school so that I can be a Nurse when I grow up. I can take your blood pressure and turn you on your side in your bed, and if you need assistance to your wheelchair, I'm your girl. I still want to be on SNL (or at least write for the show) and deep down inside, I know that someday my 'big break' is going to come. When that happens, whatever I end up doing will not feel like work because I will love it...and deep down, in the deepest and most quiet parts of me...I never want to grow up.

No comments: